Metro Station Activity Terms and Conditions
Organisation/charity requesting permit
All persons operating under this permit must comply with specific requirements in relation to safety, environment and emergency response issues. This ensures the safety of all persons, avoidance of damage to infrastructure and avoidance of delays to scheduled train services.
The following are the minimum site safety rules all third parties must follow when engaged in station activity on the Metro network. Additional site-specific requirements may also apply. Failure to comply with these conditions or any policy/procedure as directed by Metro staff will result in termination of any permit issued.
1. You must obtain express permission from Metro Trains Melbourne before accessing Metro premises
2. On arrival, all third parties with permission to engage in station activities must check in with the relevant Station Master prior to set up.
3. You must take reasonable care of yourself and others, and follow Metro instructions while on site. You must consider any risks to yourself, other activity participants, Metro employees or passengers. If you have any concerns, you must seek immediate assistance. Things to keep in mind include:
a. Ensuring the tools and equipment you are using are right for the job/activity
b. Making sure any marquees, tables, banners and other larger items are adequately and appropriately securedc. Checking that no equipment or activity is blocking entryways and exits, including emergency exits
4. If on the platform, always stay behind the yellow line when a train is approaching and remain behind the yellow line until the train has come to a complete stop
5. You must be trained and competent to conduct any work you are about to do
6. You must report all rail and OHS incidents/occurrences to Metro as soon as possible
7. Prior to commencing work, you must be fit, healthy and well-rested, and not affected by drugs or alcohol.
a. If you become unwell or fatigued so as to be unable to work safely, you must stop.
b. Third parties on MTM workplaces are required to have a zero blood alcohol level and be free from the effects of drugs.
c. Third parties may be subject to random, targeted/post incident drug and alcohol testing. A person who tests non-negative/confirmed positive to alcohol or drugs or who refuses a drug or alcohol test must be removed from the workplace immediately and may forfeit permission to work/conduct activities on MTM workplaces in future.
8. At the end of the access/activity, the site must be in a neat and tidy condition. Any station activity needs to:
a. Minimise litter, noise or stray light from adversely affecting the public, neighbours or regular train operations
b. Ensure all waste is properly disposed of
c. Ensure no contaminants reach the storm water systemd. Consider preservation of the flora and fauna, and any heritage restrictions in the area. If in doubt, you must seek clarification from Metro
9. You must not take inappropriate clothing or objects into the rail environment.
a. Red, yellow or green clothing or objects are not permitted as signal colours pose a safety risk with Driver communication
b. Helium balloons are not permitted for station activities
c. PA systems cannot be at an excessive volume
10. Activity conducted on Metro premises must not adversely affect Metro’s ability to operate scheduled train services or impede passenger traffic.
a. Station activities, where possible, should be scheduled outside morning and evening peak travel periods
b. Station activities, where possible, should avoid the busiest CBD stations
11. Metro reserves the right to withhold or revoke approval of access at any time if:
a. The third party fails to comply with any Metro policy or procedure applicable to their agreed activity
b. The third party is negligent or causes or contributes to a safety incident or property damage during the activity
c. The third party fails to protect Metro or third party assets or infrastructure during the activity
d. The activity is no longer safe or appropriate to conduct due to a change in the station/network environment
If you require further information about Metro’s Station Activity Terms and Conditions, contact email@example.com