Giving back: New grants to support local communities
The latest round of Metro Cares Community Grants will provide a combined $33,000 to 22 community projects and organisations from around Melbourne.
The grants will back a diverse range of grassroots activities – including in a new category of ‘Welfare and Crisis Support’ – to better recognise mental health and family violence, and support initiatives in these important fields.
There’s also support for local sports clubs and community groups, environmental conservation and fire safety education.
In addition, Metro will donate $12,000 to Melbourne City Mission’s Frontyard Youth Homelessness Crisis Accommodation Program, providing 126 nights of accommodation and caring for young people in emergency situations.
Metro CEO Raymond O’Flaherty says, “I was pleased to see the width and breadth of successful nominations, which include support for local sports clubs and community groups, environmental conservation and fire safety education.
“Thank you to everyone who took time to nominate their local community organisation or charity. With this support, we will continue to make a difference for the people of Melbourne.”
Applications for the grants are provided by Metro staff who wish to support a community group or charitable organisation that has helped them to connect to their community.
The full recipients list:
- Aberfeldie Brownie Guides
- Warrandyte Basketball Association
- 2nd Melton Scout Group
- Fitzroy City Soccer Club
- Global Organisation of People of Indian Origin – North West Metropolitan
- Keysborough Fire Brigade
- Bessie Creek/Ararat Creek Landcare Group
- Brunswick South-West Education Primary
- Friends of Canadian Corridor
- Zonta International Melbourne East
- Somers Parade Kindergarten
- Western Beaches Outrigger Canoe Club
- Williamstown Cricket Club
- Fijian Community Association Victoria
- Eastern Raiders Softball Club
- Friends of Herring Island
- Goldfields Paddlers
- Baw Baw L2P
- The Big Umbrella
- Monbulk Care Network
- Moonee Valley Football Club