Filming and Photography
Trains, stations and other parts of the railway are popular subjects for filming and photography. At Metro, our top priority is ensuring the safety and comfort of passengers and staff. The following guidelines and procedures are in place to allow safe and effective filming and photography of Melbourne’s rail network without compromising the service Metro delivers.
Concerning fundraising and activations at railway stations, and sponsorship opportunities, Metro has decided to consolidate its portfolio and focus on continuing to support selected long-standing partners. As such, Metro will no longer be accepting applications for new fundraising and sponsorship activity beyond these planned events.
Filming and Photography Guidelines
If you are seeking to capture images or footage as part of a professional production or student project, you will need a permit.
Filming and photography should be scheduled outside morning and evening peak travel periods and avoid the busiest CBD and major interchange stations where possible.
It is also best to avoid stations or dates impacted by special events where more passengers will need to access the network.
When this is unavoidable, each application is subject to approval on a case-by-case basis.
The following directions must be observed on the network to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
- At all times, you must abide by these guidelines and take direction from railway staff
- When at the station, ensure everyone remains behind the yellow line
- Always mind the gap between the train and the platform
- No artificial lighting can be directed toward oncoming trains
- Any filming or photography on trains cannot be conducted during peak travel periods
- Tripods cannot be used at a railway station without a Metro permit
- Activities should not impede customer traffic or delay train services
- You cannot capture images on board a train without a Metro permit
- You cannot capture images of rail staff unless you have their expressed permission
- Respect the wishes of those passengers who ask not to be filmed or photographed
- Be safe, all filming and photography is undertaken at your own risk.
Before you begin your application, be advised that any of the following is prohibited on the Metro rail network:
- Activity that disruptions or creates inconvenience for Metro passengers, staff, tenants, neighbours or the general public.
- Activity in the air space directly above the train including filming and photography that involves aircraft and helicopters.
- Activity that requires excavation work directly below the rail.
- Use of pyrotechnics, dangerous or flammable substances and weapons (including spear guns, firearms and explosives).
- Production of film or photography with subject matter that is likely to be considered sensitive or offensive. This includes nudity, offensive language, violence, drug use, anti-social behaviour or political or racial content.
- Production of film or photography that may diminish the reputation of public transport or the public transport system in Victoria.
- Production of film or photography to be used to promote a political party, parties or a political cause.
- Production of film or photography that promotes or relates to alcohol or gambling.
If your proposed filming and photography does not include any of the above, please complete the application form here.
Southern Cross Station enquiries should be made directly here.
Any questions about the application process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org