Building and maintaining top class skills and capability is a top priority for the global railway industry.
And this is the very reason for the establishment of the Metro Academy.
With access to unrivalled knowledge of Melbourne’s metropolitan railway and backed by Hong Kong’s MTR, which is arguably the best engineered railway in the world, the Metro Academy offers Australia’s railway workers and contractors access to superior training opportunities.
As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) delivering both nationally recognised units of competence and purpose built non-accredited training programs, the Metro Academy is well positioned to provide the industry with fit for purpose training solutions.RTO # 40535, Metro Trains Melbourne
Rail Safety Courses
- Train Track Safety Awareness (TTSA)
- Metro Contractor Safety Recertification Course (MCSR)
- Lookout Renewal
- Handsignaller Renewal
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Level 3.1
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Renewal Level 3.1
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Level 3.2
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Renewal Level 3.2
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Level 3.3
- Track Force Protection Coordinator (TFPC) Renewal Level 3.3
- Track Vehicle Operator (TVO1)
Rail Skills Courses
- Construction Induction (White Card)
- Apply Fatigue Management Strategies
- Manual Handling
- Maintain and Use Hand Tools
- Follow Occupational Health & Safety Procedures
- Apply Environmental Procedures to Rail Infrastructure
- Coping with Trauma
- Support after Trauma
- Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS)
- Safety Leadership
Leadership & Management Courses
- Facilitating Meetings
- Instinctive Leadership
- The Power of Teams
- Priority Management
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers
- Facilitating Change
- Presentation Skills
- BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Basic Workplace Communication
- Developing a Business Case
- Leadership Essentials
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Equal Employment Opportunity for Managers and Supervisors – Online
- Equal Employment Opportunity for Employees – Online
- Bullying and Harassment for Managers and Supervisors – Online
- Bullying and Harassment for Employees – Online
Rail Industry Worker News & Updates
A feature has been set up so contractors can register to be notified about news & updates from all rail operators.
RIW 24/7 Support
If you have an issue with the RIW APP or your require desktop support or in need of competency validation, please contact 1300 131 194.
If you’re calling to log a fault please ensure your take note of the job number and email this to email@example.com so the Metro competency team can monitor the fault progress.
RIW APP Instructions
Access to the RIW APP is limited to those roles who need to check competencies. For Metro this is all Track Force Protection Coordinators and all Project roles. If you hold one of these roles contact Onsite on 1300 777 245 for a username and password, then click on one of the following links to set up your mobile device.
|For Apple click here.|
|For Android click here.|
|For Windows click here.|
Rail Safety Worker Competence
This is Metro’s rail safety worker competency information centre.
If you have any questions relating to this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information centre summarises Metro’s competency management system by detailing all rail safety worker tasks and the competencies necessary to complete these essential railway tasks.
Business Rules and Procedures
1994 Book of Rules
To view the 1994 Book of Rules, click here.
Competency Matrices and Supporting Documentation
|1||Track & Civil||Aug 2015||4.3|
|2||Plant & Equipment||Apr 2018||5.0|
|3||Engineering & Design Matrix||Nov 2017||5.0|
|4||Project Management||Feb 2018||5.0|
|5||Safeworking (Track Protection)||Aug 2016||5.0|
|7||Signals, Control Systems & Communications||Aug 2018||7.0|
|8||Electrical Networks – Substations||Sep 2014||2.2|
|9||Electrical Networks – Overhead Safety Observer||Jan 2016||2.2|
|10||Electrical Network – Overhead||Jul 2015||3.2|
|View the new national roles for:
These national roles are recognised by all Registered Transport Operators currently using the RIW system.
To see a list of all MTM signal CMS forms, click here.
Signals Statements of Competency
|L4-LED-FOR-060||Signals Design – SOC||1 Feb 2018||2.0|
|L4-LED-FOR-065||Signals Construction – SOC||1 Feb 2018||1.0|
|L4-LED-FOR-064||Signals Test – SOC||1 Feb 2018||2.0|
|L4-LED-FOR-063||Signals Maintenance – SOC||1 Feb 2018||2.0|
|L4-LED-FOR-062||Signals Communications – SOC||1 Feb 2018||1.0|
|L4-LED-FOR-077||Signals Project – SOC||1 Feb 2018||1.0|
MTM Standards Induction
|1||MTM Standards Induction Design||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
|2||MTM Standards Induction Construction||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
|3||MTM Standards Induction Test||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
|4||MTM Standards Induction Maintenance||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
|5||MTM Standards Induction Communications||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
|6||MTM Standards Induction Project||1 Aug 2018||1.1|
Engineering & Design Statements of Competency & Supporting Documentation
|1||Architectural Designer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|2||Building Services Design Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|3||Overhead Wiring Design Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|4||Rolling Stock Communications Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|5||Rolling Stock Electrical Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|6||Structures Design Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|7||Substation and Power||13 Mar 2018||3.0|
|8||Track and Civil Design Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|9||Rolling Stock Mechanical Engineer||23 Feb 2018||2.0|
|CMS 2018 Signals Moderation Session||24 July 18|
|Rail Safety Worker Information Session||30 Sep 13|
|Rail Safety Worker Competence||15 Jan 18|
Metro Academy Services
MTM RIW Competency Management Service
With access to unrivalled knowledge of MTM’s competency requirements and of the Onsite system MTM are offering Victorian railway workers and contracting companies a superior RIW management service.
Our Core Services
We offer a full range of competency management services to assist you in meeting your obligations under the Rail Safety National Law, summary service includes:
- Businesses: Our on-site assistance service puts one of our experts into your business to assist with the day-to-day competence management by providing mentoring, training and support; we will help your business reach its full compliance requirement by managing your workforce compliance. We can provide 100% set up and ongoing maintenance of your RIW requirements
- Individuals: We offer one on one coaching to help enable you to reach your compliance goals or we can provide 100% set up and ongoing maintenance of your RIW requirements
Our customisable services include
- Registering on the RIW system
- On boarding of new contractors
- Transferring contractors between companies
- RIW compliance & role reporting
- Expiry reporting
- Role selection
- Uploading documentation
- Gap assessment / Training needs analysis
- Notifications & updates
- Priority access due to card delays
- Site association
- Assessment of your contractor role(s)
- Identify which competencies are relevant for the required work
- Assist with getting you or your employees through any required training with minimal disruption to work.
Charges will be dependent on levels of support required
If you have any questions relating to this information, please email: email@example.com
The Platform is Metro Academy’s new way to search, book and pay for training. During the transition period if you have any queries, please contact Metro Academy via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 9610 3701.
If you are a first time user to The Platform, please click here to register.
If you have used The Platform before, please click here to log on.
|Remember:||Your username = your email address
Your password = what you set when you first registered
For Terms and Conditions, click here.
|Click here to access The Platform – our online Learning Management System||Download our Quick Reference Guide for Learners||Download our Quick Reference Guide for Administrators|